TWEET CONFERENCE: “Increasing the participation of young people as Social Media Advocates in the campaign to end FGM/C
- From Nigeria, we welcome you all to this week tweet conference #endcuttiggirls
- This week, we will discuss “Increasing the participation of young people as Social Media Advocates in the campaign to end FGM/C” #endcuttinggirls
- Co-anchoring with me are @robinson4eva and @oluseunesan17 #endcuttinggirls
- Our presentation will last from 5pm – 7pm #endcuttinggirls
- I will tweet from 5pm – 5:30pm and my co-anchors will complete the rest of the presentation before we take question at 6:30pm #endcuttinggirls
- Join us as we share this exciting and expository time on #endcuttinggirls
- FGM/C stands for Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting. #endcuttinggirls
- FGM/C is the partial or total removal of the external female genitalia, or other injury to the female genital organs for nonmedical reasons. #endcuttinggirls
- There are four (4) types of female genital mutilation/cutting #endcuttinggirls
- Type 1: partial or total removal of the clitoris and/or the prepuce (clitoridectomy). #endcuttinggirls
- Type 2: partial or total removal of & clitoris and & labia minora, with or without excision of & labia majora (excision). #endcuttinggirls
- Type 3: narrowing of & vaginal orifice with creation of a covering seal by cutting and appositioning & labia minora and/or & labia majora, with or without excision of & clitoris (infibulation). #endcuttinggirls
- Type 4: unclassified – all other harmful procedures to the female genitalia for non-medical purposes, for example, pricking, piercing, incising, scraping and cauterization. #endcuttinggirls
- FGM/C violates & human rights of girls/women, and has immediate and long-term negative effects on their health & general wellbeing. #endcuttinggirls
- FGM/C is deeply rooted in tradition and persists as a social norm that is upheld by underlying gender structures and power relations. #endcuttinggirls
- It is important to involve youths in FGM/C abandonment campaign #endcuttinggirls
- Youth involvement provides organizations with valuable insight into the needs of adolescents. #endcuttinggirls
- Youth involvement also builds the leadership and communication skills of young people. #endcuttinggirls
- Youth involvement is equally important in the development and implementation of an advocacy campaign. #endcuttinggirls
- Young people can provide accurate insights into the effects of various policies #endcuttinggirls
- The presence of youth in all network events and activities serves as a reminder of the issues which bring the members together. #endcuttinggirls
- young people develop leadership skills and confidence and gain work experience. #endcuttinggirls
- According to a social media report, estimated 85% of people aged 18 – 45 use social media #endcuttinggirls
- With social media the youths can reach and engage with people on issues affecting them #endcuttinggirls
- The youths design strategies to reach out to key stakeholders in the society using the social media #endcuttinggirls
- The youths are still the ones leading the most successfully campaigns in the world #endcuttinggirls
27a. There are so many reasons why young people have to be involved in ending Female Genital Mutilation. #endcuttinggirls
27b.One reason is, the number of young people in the world is increasing day by day especially in developing countries. #endcuttinggirls
28.Today’s adolescents and youth are 1.8 billion making them a quarter of the world’s population. #endcuttinggirls
- They are shaping the future in social and economic devt, challenging social norms & values to #endFGM #endcuttinggirls
- #FGM is practiced more on on young girls than adults and some societies justify it as a rite of passage to womanhood. #endcuttinggirls
- In order to win this fight we have to first educate these young girls to know the risks associated with #FGM to #endcuttinggirls
- And also to be aware of where they can run to when they get forced to pass through Female Genital Mutilation. #endcuttinggirls
33.Young people are innovative & by involving them, they can create projects & campaign to fight #FGM #endcuttinggirls
34.Young people can use social media to advocate for #endFGM, volunteer in orgs that are working toward ending FGM. #endcuttinggirls
35.Organizations need to clearly outline how youths can collaborate with them to end FGM. #endcuttinggirls
36a. Organizations working on FGM can model after others who are successful at involving youth in their activities. #endcuttinggirls
36b.the should Seek information and materials that will encourage youth involvement in the FGM advocacy campaign. #endcuttinggirls
- Youths should be involved in FGM policy meetings, t/for time and location of meetings should be conducive for them. #endcuttinggirls
- Trains youths to build their communication skills on FGM when dealing with adults & always to speak in front of adults #endcuttinggirls
- It may take time and effort to get young people to participate fully in this #FGM program; but it will be worth it. #endcuttinggirls
- Work to help teens feel comfortable too. Do not assume that, if a teen is not speaking, that he or she has no opinion. #endcuttinggirls
41a. Ask youths to contribute during #FGM meetings & discussions. Be open & nonjudgmental about young people’s suggestions.#endcuttinggirls
41b. Let young people know that their involvement and contribution to #endFGM are important and valued. #endcuttinggirls
- Always Provide training and mentor-ship to build the skills and confidence of young people on #FGM issues. #endcuttinggirls
- There should be resource centers b/c young people may need information about reproductive health programs and #FGM #endcuttinggirls
- Providing young people with opportunities to build their skills helps expand the #endFGM effectiveness #endcuttinggirls.
- All advocates should be seen as equal & should participate in p/meetings have right to vote & hold leadership positions #endcuttinggirls
- Be realistic & honest in setting expectations, Trying to do too much at once may disappoint or frustrate young people #endcuttinggirls
- Be prepared to offer support. M/be financial assistance, transportation, training, & information for effective c/paign #endcuttinggirls
- Campaign should interactive and fun. Youths are likely to remain active in projects that are interesting & fulfilling. #endcuttinggirls
49.At this point may i invite @oluseunesan17 to continue..Together we #endcuttinggirls
- Nigeria has a robust youth environment and ever-increasing youth population. #endcuttinggirls.
- The Nigerian government characterizes youth as ambitious, enthusiastic, energetic and promising. #endcuttinggirls.
- Our country has one of the most youthful populations in the world. #endcuttinggirls.
- National Youth Policy states six out of every ten Nigerians are under 25 years of age #endcuttinggirls
- Nigerian with 186m estimate, It is believed that an equivalent of one of every three Nigerians is a youth. #endcuttinggirls
- Youth definition differs, Nigeria for example defines youths as citizens aged 18–35 years. #endcuttinggirls.
- The 2008 Declaration by the AU Gen. Assembly affirmed 2009-2019 as Africa decade for Youth. #endcuttinggirls
- The AU declaration is lending credence to youths as a global driving force for social transformation #endcuttinggirls.
- The declaration was premised on the need to increase global interest in youth participation and development #endcuttinggirls
- The access and opportunity for youths to participate must be provided as a matter of right not a privilege #endcuttinggirls.
- Young people are inquisitive, energetic, ready to learn and open-minded #endcuttinggirls
- Without doubt, youths are pivotal to the efforts to end FGM globally #endcuttinggirls
- About 53% of children aged 0-14 who had been cut are born by Mothers who were cut (MICS 2017). #endcuttinggirls
- prevalence of FGM for aged 0-14 is 25.3% while aged 15-49 is 18.4 (MICS 2017). Most affected are youths #endcuttingirls
- 11.5 % are women aged 15-49 who had higher education and still want FGM continued #endcuttinggirls
- All this statistics showed that youths are most affected and some youths still supports a continuation. #endcuttinggirls
- Organizations and Governments must clearly highlight the roles of the Youths to #endcuttinggirls based on their context & realities
- The Internet and technology has given youths a boundless opportunity to learn. Youth must learn about FGM #endcuttinggirls.
- Youths to end FGM must relentlessly share knowledge of FGM in their spheres of influence #endcuttinggirls
- Leaving out youth is against the SDGs which encourage participation of everyone in solving world’s challenges #endcuttinggirls.
- Youth for Change in Tanzania are examples of Youths causing change to harmful traditions including FGM #endcuttinggirls.
- So also is the Youth Social Media Advocates who are partnering UNICEF in Nigeria to #endcuttinggirls. Good examples!!!
- The #endcuttinggirls group for example is using the social media powerfully to change the norm & create a new norm of not cutting girls
- Youths have the passion and energy to cause a change at the grassroot to end FGM #endcuttinggirls #FrownChallenge is another good one
- With the #NotTooYoungToRun in Nigeria, youths will soon have the opportunity to be policymakers who can #endcuttinggirls
- Youths must be encouraged to say their stories and personal experiences as survivors of FGM #endcuttinggirls. you can also do that on http://endcuttinggirls.org.
- By amplifying the testimonies of young people and the vital role they are playing in #endcuttinggirls is important.
- Youths can power latest blogs, analysis, news and stories on FGM to #endcuttinggirls. you can also do that on http://endcuttinggirls.org.
- Youths can thus create awareness, engage school/religious leaders and seek Govt support to #endcuttinggirls
79a. Like @ope2y noted on a forum yesterday, Youths can get partners on board, run sweepstakes, create amplifying images to #encuttinggirls
79b. Youths can also give supporters a say. The role of youths are endless.
- Goal 3 SDGs says govt at all levels must ensure healthy lives/wellbeing for their citizens while Goal5 concern FGM #endcuttinggirls